Tasting blood whenever I chew. :D The orthodontist is now helping to pull a tooth from my lower jaw back straight up and after this my set of teeth will be pretty much organised. So then for these few days, my diet became 50% of a meal mixed with blood (Oh God, and oh Ying, I am truly sorry for wasting half of my food).
Have u ever felt like if you want something so bad, u would most likely not get it?
Or if u really got it and thanked god a trillion times, that very thing transpired to be not as good as u expected and u started questioning yourself on why u longed for it in the first place.
When the one that u didn't wish for comes into your life and because you had reservations about it at the beginning, u didn't know how blessed u are, being surrounded by awesome colleagues and boss, and everything smooth. (Sigh, but not every job is like my ex-internship company's, and not everyone's extent of kindness can match up to my ex-internship supervisor's.)
Have I lost you? I kinda lost myself here somewhere while rambling on and on about nothing.
U know my mid-life crisis isn't over... Everything about me is still up in the air. However, at least, I have learnt it the hard way that only patience will get me the job that I truly desire, and only patience to wait for a suitable one will make my wait worthwhile.
For the short duration of 2 weeks, I was shortlisted for 8 interviews. LOL. Simba was so right; I am one person who unquestionably lacks self-control, whether in the number of resumes I send out every few days, or the amount of food I stuff myself with in a buffet, or the amount of milk tea I drink per day. Self-control predicts success, so in other words, I am still very far from personal success, U think???
After my 4th interview, I relentlessly rejected the 5th till the 8th one even though I was not formally informed that I was offered any employment. To make things more peculiar, I even went to celebrate the end of all my interviews with Simba over a Korean feast. LOL.
No wonder my friends said boldness is in my genes. First I resigned from a job without finding a new one first, and then I don't go for any more interviews without knowing if I have secured one already. That's me, you know, steadfast but random and foolishly courageous!
By the 4th interview, I whose middle name is Milquetoast, can be bold and chatty in front of the panel of interviewers. Lol. I even made it a point to smile occasionally, and was flabbergasted by how I could do that.
For the short duration of 2 weeks, I was shortlisted for 8 interviews. LOL. Simba was so right; I am one person who unquestionably lacks self-control, whether in the number of resumes I send out every few days, or the amount of food I stuff myself with in a buffet, or the amount of milk tea I drink per day. Self-control predicts success, so in other words, I am still very far from personal success, U think???
After my 4th interview, I relentlessly rejected the 5th till the 8th one even though I was not formally informed that I was offered any employment. To make things more peculiar, I even went to celebrate the end of all my interviews with Simba over a Korean feast. LOL.
No wonder my friends said boldness is in my genes. First I resigned from a job without finding a new one first, and then I don't go for any more interviews without knowing if I have secured one already. That's me, you know, steadfast but random and foolishly courageous!
By the 4th interview, I whose middle name is Milquetoast, can be bold and chatty in front of the panel of interviewers. Lol. I even made it a point to smile occasionally, and was flabbergasted by how I could do that.
1st interview: Despite going for the 2-min crash course on how to excel in an interview at Youtube, I was still pretty freaked out in it. Perhaps cos the interviewer exhibited an air of arrogance, looked me straight in the eye and bombarded me with questions.
For a mellow person like me, I knew right from the start I'm never gonna score this. I knew it. I knew that something would go wrong with this one since they called me on the same day I submitted my resume. The job scope was to handle clinical feedbacks and complaints, and work with doctors and lawyers on any pending law suits. Not quite me huh lol.
The following day, I began interviewing candidates at the tuition centre with my Korean boss, and after several rounds of it, I realised that it all boils down to one thing: it doesn't matter what you say, but how u say it.
You know it right from the start whether that person has a likeable personality or not. And you know it right from when you see him/her, whether he/she is the one. (Not quite like dating though. Lol.)
My top choice was a position from my 3rd interview; it is a perm job, has some kind of career progression, and I get to recruit patients for clinical trials, help conduct clinical trials, write grant application and research papers and most importantly, I hold the interviewer in high regard and admire the research and simulation his lab does.
The interviewer is a hand surgeon. He wasn't particularly friendly; in fact, he was actually pretty aloof. However he is the first interviewer that I, when came face-to-face with, surprised myself by not feeling intimidated and the adrenaline rush, something I am not proud of but am extremely capable of. Instead I presented my true self.
He was straight to the point, never sarcastic, very humble and very meticulous.
He did not ask me those typical questions like what the others would, questions like:
- What can you tell me about yourself?
- Why choose a healthcare organisation?
- Why apply for this position?
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- How receptive are you to patients?
- What do you see yourself in 3 years' time?
... And many others that need you to boast or something along that line.
Some of the questions he asked were:
- Relevant experiences?
- How many clinical trials did you do before?
- Written grant applications?
- What about manuscripts?
- Good Clinical Practice certification?
- Languages you know? (Once I said Mandarin and English, he asked, "Any others?" I was a little embarrassed telling him that I could only listen to Teochew and Hokkien and couldn't articulate well with them.)
He hung on every word I said and noted everything down so quickly that it became illegible (You know, doctors.) He was just genuinely looking for someone who can do the job.
And he went:
No GCP? Okay, u need to get one.
No experience in Microsoft Access? You need to learn it.
He was straight to the point, never sarcastic, very humble and very meticulous.
He did not ask me those typical questions like what the others would, questions like:
- What can you tell me about yourself?
- Why choose a healthcare organisation?
- Why apply for this position?
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- How receptive are you to patients?
- What do you see yourself in 3 years' time?
... And many others that need you to boast or something along that line.
Some of the questions he asked were:
- Relevant experiences?
- How many clinical trials did you do before?
- Written grant applications?
- What about manuscripts?
- Good Clinical Practice certification?
- Languages you know? (Once I said Mandarin and English, he asked, "Any others?" I was a little embarrassed telling him that I could only listen to Teochew and Hokkien and couldn't articulate well with them.)
He hung on every word I said and noted everything down so quickly that it became illegible (You know, doctors.) He was just genuinely looking for someone who can do the job.
And he went:
No GCP? Okay, u need to get one.
No experience in Microsoft Access? You need to learn it.
You need to have good communication skills,
take some initiative, be independent ....
Can you do that?
He thinks more than he speaks, and I like it. I think working with him will make me wanna be a voracious learner, since I always like a man of few words, and this doctor? Definitely one such man.
The 4th interview was for me to try for the position of an Executive, and the job scope is to be assigned with problematic HIV and TB patients and make sure that they adhere strictly to the appointments and medication, and educate (nag) them. Although I can be pretty naggy, but I can't imagine nagging people as a job, so then this became my 3rd choice. I didn't expect that 2 days later, the HR called and asked me to go for another position which involves research in improving care and safety for ageing patients; she said it is more relevant to me. Lol. Can't get research out of my life, can I?
I accepted the job from my 2nd interview which was my 2nd choice. I always thought that I want nothing more to do with research, but guess what? My 1st and 2nd choices are both research related, while the 3rd and 4th aren't.
The 3 interviewers from my 2nd interview were not just run-of-the-mill nice but really very genial, and the other people there awesome! From asking from directions from the counter staff, to bumping into my ex-course junior who is currently working there (and coincidentally the same department), to ordering food from the canteen auntie, to the Human Resource personnel, to the interviewers, everything was very very pleasant.
After being assured by my ex-course junior that my future small and big bosses (both Operations Managers) are both chatty and amicable people, I decided to wait no more. Dear new hospital, I hope u will be a great place to work in!
Heard of the newly implemented tele-conferences between elderly patients and practitioners to ease the burdens of travelling and heightened consultation fee? I will be analysing the effectiveness of this program, and then evaluating it.
A print screen of the jobscope:
So dears, I'm no longer unemployed. Hope I will like the job and do well in it! Wish me luck! :D

No comments:
Post a Comment