Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Diet, New Job & Dimsum!





Jun Wen was not at all supportive nor eager when I became in the thick of my plans to lose few kilograms. In fact, he was rather annoyed. His exact words were "做人开心就好,何必把自己搞得那么辛苦?"

He doesn't understand, I love attending weddings, even more so my own wedding; everything including my diet plans has to, by hook or by crook, go according to plan.


To sabotage my plans, he proposed that we eat out a hearty meal for dinner every Sunday (and let down the creator of the food guide pyramid). Another reason he came up with this rule was because I'm not in favour of snacks or supper on weekdays. Hence, feeling guilty that he was still hungry when I wasn't, he would adamantly not eat and slept with a half empty stomach on weekdays.


Last Sunday Victor's Kitchen, a humble place renowned for its custard buns, was where he decided to have the hearty dinner. Simba happened to come across this place, as it is opposite a Gundam shop where his geeky friend frequents. Although the food was served a little cold, it was wickedly good.







Shrimp Roll




Overestimated ourselves once more so with a 100% full stomach we spent 20 minutes slowly munching on the leftovers.




Steamed chicken in Chinese wine.



Prawn dumplings


Teochew dumplings



Custard buns, the main character.



Smiling on the outside, but was worried about my weight inside. I mean real business this time.



Siew Mai. 
It was a mess because...



He took one of them out and displaced the rest.


Christmas & Dieting Dilemma

As known to all, Christmas signifies giving and sharing, which means many chocolates and snacks will lead themselves on my desk. Today I ate so many chips I had to clutch my tummy all the way back home (I can't reject anyone since I'm still a newbie in the workplace, I should be totally nice!). 
"Dear colleagues, I know you mean well but please refrain from putting any snack or chocolate on my table as my wedding is drawing near."


New Job

Time in the hospital flew past because of the endless (motivational) meetings, orientations and rapport building. I'm now 3 weeks into my new job!

Being the only Research person in my department was a total brand-new feeling; afterall I'm helping the Operations department do research. But I was very grateful that everything has already been clearly planned out and organized before I came and it's like they are just waiting for me to come and fill in whatever they need.

My office is filled with Operations Executives and mostly ladies! Their dress sense is top-notch; I find myself glancing a little too long at what they wear everyday. 

They would spend every penny on anything that catches their attention, just like how I used to! 

They don't exercise and eat plenty of snacks. Jack & Jill's spicy potato chips used to be my favourite when I was in Primary but gave them up after learning from Health Education that they do nothing but harm to my body. 
I was indeed fascinated by how large their appetite is! One was sitting in front of me in the office (the partition that separates us is transparent) and I have never seen her stop eating before. She later confessed that the snacks given by our common colleague were too tempting, so I gave her mine and she accepted it without any sort of hesitation. She offered me chocolates from her pack again and again but I had to remind her that I'm on diet!!
One ate up Salted Caramel's waffle with ice cream after our Christmas dinner (she said she wasn't full from the dinner when she had steak). I watched in fascination (and horror) as she gobbled up her dessert and I must have stared a bit too hard and long that she told me not to judge her and not to react as if she is a monster! 

They are not afraid to speak out during meetings and this is some solid confidence that I should master! 


People in the office would come forward personally to introduce themselves. 

Doctors in my team are approachable too and being attached to them was an inspiring experience since I watched them teach nurses in the nursing homes we collaborated with. 

Christmas dinner with new colleagues :D

I'm smiling again! The people at work are kind and this is all it matters. Choosing to leave my last job was the best choice I have ever made. I deserve to be happy and love myself, and love the peace I'm having now; I don't have to endure any bit of the meanness anymore! :) I was taught never to be someone who can't control her anger, as this type of person loses in every single situation and is unlikeable, but now if ever there is one lesson that I will take home from my previous workplace, it will be to defend myself. My New Year resolution for the year of 2014 is to be kind but firm and to have the tenacity to see it through!

Anyway, I have moved on, and am feeling alive again with my emotions kept in check, and every new day is a day to be thankful for!






My friends, if you are currently in an unmanageable situation that keeps you unsatisfied and unhappy, I suggest you change your situation. U have a choice to be happy and more importantly u deserve to be happy, so if it takes getting out of the situation instead of salvaging it, by all means do it.

My workload is manageable too, as an Admin Assistant is here to assist me with data collection and she is really good-natured and capable. Love her! Now I can go home on time and spend time with my loved ones!

:D


No comments: