Today is friday! Hurray!
Oh no, i am a little scared of my blood donation again. But i must be brave! Cos i really really wanna get priority queue in the polyclinic next time. It's my lifetime goal hahaha. Very odd of me to set a goal so when i set a goal, i am really determined. Then next time when simba and i are old and have already dropped all our teeth, we can slowly hunch back walk to the polyclinic and i will give the nurse my blood donor card and stammered, "I... I .. I.. got this priority q.. q.. q.. ueue. See doctor fast... fast.. faster..."
I think must donate 35 times. And this is my third time. Wow, i'm really reaching my goal. Yeah!
Simba went on a 16km NorthEast run last sun and ran past Temasek Poly. He was so proud of it that he ran all the way without stopping for 1 hr 27mins and kept asking me to look at his photo of him running on the NorthEast run facebook. But there are 400+ photos. How am i going to find his??
Oh ya, the photo taking was outside Temasek Poly. I miss my Temasek Poly so much!
And he just signed up for a 25km run! Cant believe it. Omg. I was wondering why would anyone ever pay money just to run? i just cant get it. He said he wants to collect all the t-shirts for every event. Omg. Just cant understand. He asked me to join a 5km run and i said my 2.4km i already going to die!! He said he will walk all the way with me but i doubt so! I knew he cant take the temptation and will start running!
I am having cough and sore throat again. Simba passed it to me once more! So angry! Now my 'one year sick once' policy is gone!! I am sick once last mth and sick again this mth.
I'm going to present and teach my colleagues on my Bioinformatics this april. All thanks to myself! I told Supervisor Kevin that Simba has to do some research and present it to his supervisor from time to time. And he decided to follow that idea. He said then i can write in my CV, "I taught all my colleagues Bioinformatics during my attachment." Oh great! He said he will give me a choice whether to present or not. Although my brain is sometimes very empty, i got some psychology skills.
Ya, he gave me a choice so that it doesnt look like he demand me to do and that he was trying to test some courage out of me. Yeah, minutes later, i say ok, i present.
And he asked me about Maths whenever he doesnt know. Stressed sia! Nearly lose face all the time. hahahaha. Luckily i anyhow anyhow explain and surprisingly he still understands.
Oh ya i went to a talk today at NUS. My first time to NUS. :P My supervisor was an ex NUS student. He said the canteen uncle drives a BM! Then he asked me if i never study, can try selling drinks! Then he added on "Oh too bad u study already!" Diao!
The talk was about Corals and Next Generation Sequencing. My company is advancing our research to Next Generation Sequencing btw. We are the first ones to do it in Sg. Cool right! My supervisor provides the first bioinformatics services in Sg for Next Gen Sequencing.
From the talk..
I learned that corals has this algae Zooxanthellae in them that does photosynthesis and provides nutrients for them. Due to the heightened climate, corals are "bleached". The reason they turned whitish is because the rise in temperature causes photosynthesis to fail. (Photosynthesis only takes place at certain optimal temperature.) Thus, Zooxanthellae cannot provide corals with nutrients. Instead this algae takes away their energy and nutrients! So corals kick them out and becomes white in return.
Corals are a little heartless hor!
Anyway, some corals become white but some become a little brown, some dark brown.. So we can conclude that the rise in temperature affects corals individually. Is there any genetic traits in the corals that causes this individualism? And we wish to increase the corals' adaptabilities to survive in the adverse environment. We have to use Next Generation Sequencing techniques to do that. Cool right! I miss lectures suddenly hahas.
My new tutee is Korean! Her living room has the biggest bookshelf full of Korean novels. Her mum will bring a tray of biscuits and drinks into her room for us. And the tray is so cute!
I got two angels as my tutees this time round. Super happy +++++!
My philiphino tutee has started to know some Chinese words and i'm real happy. But i still have to converse with him in English, then translate to Chinese.
When he first started, he pronounced 'shi' as 'xi', 'chi' as 'qi' .. Yeah u know what i mean. Like ang moh pronouncing Chinese. When he reads a sentence, i cant help but laugh. The combination of words sounds funny as he cant recognise the han yu pin yin sounds.
His mum requested for me to translate his Chinese textbook into English. It's quite challenging!
Like xie zi is "write" in English. But xie is "write", zi is "words". Should i write "write" or "write words"?
What makes me happy was that he chose me over toys. Super touched. :)
He practises Chinese at home and his mum thought it was so irritating (she doesnt understand abit of Chinese) that she has to ask him to stop.
I feel so motivated to be a Chinese teacher suddenly! LOL
Simba asked me to be a BioInformatician since i am learning it now. As it is a specialised job and no one really likes bioinformatics, the pay is high! Huh, but see how! I want to do what i like even if it is a low paying job.
No comments:
Post a Comment