HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! A toast to all the couples i know! ;)
I am looking forward to this year's Valentine's! Cos previous years Simba and I were so busy with schoolwork and quizzes that we only spend the evening having a good dinner and then go home. lols! But this time i have no school on Monday and Simba is planning. YEAH!
On the fateful day (9th Feb), i dropped my hard disk hard on the ground and it crashed. I couldn't detect it on the computer lab's computers. I spent 1 hr plus in the train on my way home worrying about it and hoping that my own laptop will detect it. All my FYP stuff are inside!! I googled, "Dropped external hard disk not detected by computer." And all i get were negative comments! I heard the "click click click" sound made by my hard disk and it is actually known as the "Clicks of Death".
I was disappointed but mentally prepared for the worst. I got home and as predicted, my laptop couldn't detect it. I rushed to the Challenger store at Nex and the IT pro told me he couldn't do anything about it.
At the moment, i calmly asked, "Is there any way i can recover my data??"
He shook his head and i left. I was in a daze! i called Simba and teared.
My mind was in a whirl. I wasnt thinking right and i told him that i will call him later, and need to recover from my shock. I went home, lie on my bed for half an hour with my eyes wide open. I was so shocked!
Simba told me that it may just be a blessing in disguise!
After that Simba accompanied me back to school and I tried to redo my experiments. We stayed overnight and slept for an hour at the computer lab! It really turned out that I have better experimental results. Of cos I couldnt finish all in a night. It would burn some weekends to get them done. I felt quite energetic the next day in the lecture despite the lack of sleep but poor Simba was dozing off. ;(
Poor Simba has been my experimental subject throughout and I pumped the pressure cuff on him a couple of times and his arm got very numb. And in order for me to get good experimental results, he tried not to move an inch and pressed the source and detector light fibers so hard on his arams until they formed deep cavities everytime.
I didn't get to sleep until 10pm that day. Went to have a meeting with my phd student and it took pretty long. It wad tiring but i am quite lucky to have a nice phd student! ;)
The com lab computers have some of my data and I am so thankful. ;)
The hard disk has also many of my previous school documents and irreplaceable photos! But I always bucked up my data in Facebook and this blog! Perhaps I didnt lose that much after all! By the next day the sadness was completely gone. A few days later Simba asked why I recovered so quickly. He was afraid that I kept my feelings inside and didnt let them out. Haha. I said Simba helped me with my experiments and didnt complain about staying late in school or coming back on weekends with me on top of his FYP already and if I am still unhappy I am not being grateful and fair.
;) Please back up all your data. Never assume that your hard disk won't fail u, like I did.
Have a great day, my friends ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment